Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe I got from my mother-in-law. This is a great pasta sauce. It has become a main dish for gatherings ( not to mention the most requested dish). I usually double the amount of heavy cream and use a little more sausage. Be aware, this mixture does splatter a lot. The recipe says to use right away but I have made it a day ahead of time and it is just as good. It even freezes well.
- 1⁄2 cup virgin olive oil
- 2 Italian sausages
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb penne pasta
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- add sausage without casings and crumble to small pieces cooking until lightly browned.
- add garlic and red pepper and cook until golden.
- add tomatoes and sea salt and bring to a boil while stirring.
- reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- add vodka and cream to sauce and again bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- pour sauce over cooked pasta.
- sprinkle with parsely as a garnish.
Wow this was excellant! Not exactly figure friendly though But great for those special dinners This is a keeper