Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This dish is so quick and easy to throw together, and it's just bursting with great flavor. The anchovies are optional. Serve with some crusty Italian bread and a nice red wine for a delicious, no hassle meal.
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 cans whole tomatoes, crushed (28 oz cans)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup nicoise olive (Calamata work well too)
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained
- 1 can anchovy, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped,as garnish
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil for pasta.
- Cook pasta until al dente about 7 minutes While pasta cooks, drain tomatoes and cut them crosswise, squeezing out as much liquid as possible; reserve.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Sauté garlic and red pepper flakes quickly to release flavor.
- Quickly add tomatoes and reserved juice so pepper flakes and garlic don't burn.
- Bring sauce to a boil.
- Simmer sauce and add oregano, olives, capers, and anchovies, one ingredient at a time.
- Reduce and continue simmering until desired consistency and flavor are reached.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (you don't need much salt JMHO) Drain pasta and toss in skillet with the sauce Slide hot spaghetti into serving bowl and garnish with basil.