1/1 Photo of Pasta Alla Norma
1 hr 15 mins
I was in Italy this summer and I came back with “several” Italian cooking magazines. This recipe is from “Sale & Pepe”(salt and pepper). It was very simple and fast. I really liked it. I did use SUPER FRESH organic tomatoes and eggplant and I firmly believe that makes a huge difference.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Layer eggplant on a colander with some coarse salt and put a plate on top with some weight to get ride of the eggplant bitterness. Let it sit for about 1 hour.
- 2Wash tomatoes, make a small cut on the bottom and throw them in boiling water for an instant. Then peel them, cut them in fourth, get rid of the seed and juice and chopped them.
- 3In a pan, heat the olive oil, add the garlic and sauté briefly. Then add tomatoes, basil, wine salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Rinse the eggplant and get rid of all the salt. Dry with a paper towel. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry eggplant in batches until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- 5Meanwhile, boil water with some salt to cook pasta al dente, following manufacture’s instructions.
- 6Drain pasta and mix with sauce. Pour on a big serving dish. Sprinkle fry eggplant on top and crumble goat cheese. EAT!
- 7Note: The original recipe calls for “Ricotta Salata” instead of goat cheese, that it is not the same as the regular ricotta we can get a the store; it is a fabulous cheese from Sicily, from the province of Messina. It is not impossible to find in the US, but it is quite pricey.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasta Alla Norma
Serving Size: 1 (499 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1565.4
- Calories from Fat 1198
- Total Fat 133.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 158.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 14.8 g