Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A fairly easy and tasty pasta dish from Sunset. It uses ingredients you may have on hand.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (my addition)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked or 1 lb other pastas, strands cooked
- grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Cook bacon in a wide frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring often, just until fat is rendered (3-5 minutes). Add onion; cook, stirring often until soft (about 5 minutes). Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Gently toss pasta with sauce.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
This turned out very flavorful for us, with the addition of 2 extra slices bacon (niman ranch applewood smoked), 2 extra cloves garlic, 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes (we used crushed for the 28 ounce can in the recipe), 1/2 t dried oregano, salt, and pepper. I also used about 2/3 an onion, and it was still "onion-y". I also trimmed the fat on the bacon, after cooking it fully and cooked the rest in a separate pan to make it less fattening.
We truly enjoyed this dish! My DH loved the kick the red pepper flakes gave it! And anything with bacon is great with me! Will definitely make this again! Made for ZWT4.
A very easy and quick pasta dish to make but sorry to say for us it was not a favorite. The smokey flavor of the bacon did not seem to blend well with the tomatoes. I think some fresh herbs would be wonderful in the sauce and round out the flavor a bit better.