Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A speciality of Amatrice, near Rome, this tomato based sauceis spiked with chili and garlic and richly flavored with bacon and roast peppers. If you do not have time to roast the peppers yourself, use ones from a jar, drained.
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted, peeled, deseeded and cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 green chili pepper, halved, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti
- parmesan cheese, grated to serve
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the bacon and cook over a high heat for 5 mins or until crisp. Add the roasted pepper strips and chili and cook for another 2 minutes Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the tomatoes and parsley and cook for 3 mins or until thickened. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions and drain thoroughly. Add the sauce and toss with the pasta.
- Serve at once topped with parmesan.