Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
As seen in Bon Appetit Magazine
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed peeled tomatoes
- 3 large fresh basil sprigs
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons cubed unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a 12" skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add minced onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 12 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 2-4 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute more.
- Increase heat to medium, add puréed tomatoes and season lightly with kosher salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens slightly and the flavors meld, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in basil sprigs, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a 5-qt. pot. Season with salt; add spaghetti and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before tender.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water.
- Discard basil and heat skillet over high heat. Stir in reserved pasta water to loosen sauce; bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook, stirring, until sauce coats pasta and pasta is al dente, about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat; add butter and cheese; toss until cheese melts.
- Transfer to warm bowls; serve with more cheese, if desired.
Delicious! Wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Very yummy and easy to follow the recipe, thanks for a lovely dinner.
i love this stuff. i make it all the time, but i use like 4 or 5 pinches of red pepper and use tomato sauce