Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Pasta al Forno (Seared Lasagna) is one of my favorite Italian dishes.
- 14 lasagna noodles
- 3 cups pasta sauce (home-made beef and tomato sauce)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch garlic
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb farmer cheese (unsalted)
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- Prepare a white creamy sauce: mix ¼ cup water and the flour; whisk it well ; in a lower heat, stir and cook; add butter; keep stirring to avoid lumps; cook it for 2-3 minutes; add the milk, few drops at a time; add the nutmeg; a pinch of garlic; stir continuously until the sauce is smooth and creamy (7-10 minutes).
- Cook the lasagna noodles following direction from the package. Strain the cooked noodles; separating each, place them on paper towel or baking sheet.
- Warm the pasta sauce if it was prepared in advance; mix it with oregano.
- Break the eggs in a bowl; add one tablespoon of water, a pinch of black pepper; beat the eggs thoroughly with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 400 degree.
- In a non-stick baking pan, spread ½ cup pasta sauce and lay down (3-4) lasagna noodles depending on the baking pan.
- Over the noodles spread (a) the eggs mixture (b) creamy white sauce (c) pasta sauce (d) cheese (e) pasta sauce (f) noodles. Repeat the placing order until the noodles are finished; then, at the top, spread the pasta sauce; lay the sliced fresh mozzarella.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes; Uncover and bake it for 10 minutes more.
- Remove from oven; Keep it outside for 5 minutes to settle before cutting.