Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Thia is a great dish. Comfort food all the way. Try using your favorite veggies. The origional recipe called for broccoli so that is what I've posted but I have used escarole, broccoli rabe, spinach and radicchio with good results in the past.
- 3 cups bechamel sauce
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 head broccoli floret, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup pancetta or 1 cup prosciutto or 1 cup ham or 1 cup bacon
- 1 cup gruviera cheese or 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Blanch the broccoli until crisp-tender, drain well.
- If using pancetta or bacon fry in a pan until cooked through. Prosciutto is ready to use as is, cook the ham if it is raw.
- Heat bechamel over low heat. Add the swiss and gruyere. Stir until melted. Fold in meat and broccoli.
- Cook pasta according to package directions but under cook by 3 minutes, drain.
- Place pasta in a buttered baking dish. Pour over béchamel cheese sauce and mix well.
- Mix together the parmesan, bread crumbs and oil and sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 400 until bubbly. You may wish to stick it under the broiler to brown a little.
- Let sit a few minutes before serving.