Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, tops trimmed and first layer of skin pulled away, quarter the bulb, then chop into fine dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked until al dente
- Heat a deep skillet over med-high heat; add in the sausage, breaking it up and browning the crumbles.
- Remove sausage to a bowl lined with paper towels; let stand to drain; return pan to heat.
- To pan, add onion, fennel, and garlic; cook 5 minutes, giving the pan a shake now and then.
- Add in broth and tomatoes; heat through.
- Dump sausage back into pan and add parsley; stir while bringing to a boil.
- When sauce bubbles, decrease heat to low and let simmer until the pasta is ready to toss with the sauce and serve.