Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
In response to a request, this is a Passover version of a kugel usually made with noodles.
- Cooked the peeled potatoes until tender but not soft.
- Drain and mash.
- Add 4 eggs, 1 teaspoon of oil and a little salt.
- Prepare a pot by spreading oil on sides and bottom.
- When oil is hot, pour in the potato mixture.
- Cook for at least 1/2 hour on top of stove on a small flame until the sides are browned and kugel has risen in bulk.
- Cool until completely cold.
- Turn over.
- Bake on other side in same pot 1/4 to 1/2 hour.
Wow. I think this must be the best yerushalmi kugel I've had. Just the way I like it - no pepper, no sugar, and no noodles. Thanks Mirj!
This is a very bland recipe for mashed potato kugel. It has no resemblance to a yerushalmi kugel which is characterized by carmelized sugar and black pepper. Adapt a recipe for real yerushalmi kugel by substituting kosher for passover egg noodles (made with Potato starch).