Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
perfect with fresh fruit and whipped cream.
- 8 large eggs, warmed
- 1⁄3 cup matzo meal (cake meal)
- 1⁄3 cup potato starch, not packed, plus extra for dusting the pan
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemons, zest of or 1 tablespoon orange zest, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted Passover margarine or 3 tablespoons oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 10- inch springform pan or a 9 by 13- inch rectangular pan. Dust with potato starch and line bottom with parchment paper, cut to fit.
- Warm eggs (still in shells - do not open) by placing in a bowl and covering with very hot water for 1-2 minutes (water should be hot but not so hot as to crack eggs open and cook them but hot enough to warm them up. Do not leave eggs in water longer than 1-2 minutes). This is the most important step. Do not omit it. Heat mixing bowl by filling with very hot water and then dry completely.
- Meanwhile, sift together cake meal and potato starch. Place lemon juice and melted margarine in a small bowl together. Set these ingredients aside.
- Break warmed eggs into mixing bowl of an electric mixer along with sugar, vanilla sugar, salt, and citrus zest. Using whip attachment, beat on low speed just very briefly just to combine ingredients. Then increase to high speed for 12 minutes. Batter will be extremely voluminous.
- Pour batter into a very large mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl, stir together the potato starch/matzoh cake meal mixture, combining well. Then fold this mixture into egg batter, folding gently to combine but taking care not to deflate the mixture unduly (some deflation is impossible to avoid). Gently drizzle and fold in lemon juice and melted margarine or oil.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes until cake is set in centre or until cake seems just firm when lightly touched. Cool well before removing. Note: This is not a high cake (anywhere from 1- 1/2 inches to 2- 1/2 inches high) but it is very flavorful and moist.