Recipe by Chef Dudo
Came upon this recipe in an old Jewish cookbook some time ago. Have been making it for Passover many years since then. I like the addition of walnuts and also that it is pareve (=neutral, neither dairy nor meaty). Mostly we eat it as it is but I have made it fancy by garnishing with different kind of fruit.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup matzo cake meal
- 1 tablespoon brandy or 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x9 inch square baking pan.
- Melt chocolate and margarine in a saucepan over low heat.
- Transfer to mixing bowl, add sugar and stir together
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Stir in matzo meal, brandy or water and salt.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool and cut into bars.