Recipe by Brenda.
From Better Homes & Gardens. I used Garlic Herb Feta-Yum!
Top Tweak by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Very, very nice. The feta cheese makes it different than the usual potato and cheese casserole. Instead of herbed feta cheese I used a regular low fat but added various herbs (dill, chives and basil) to the potatoes. I used some egg substitute I had in the fridge instead of regular eggs. I also used an electric mixer as recommended, and that worked out quite well. This recipe is a great make-ahead recipe. I prepared this in the morning, then in the evening I preheated the oven, covered the dish and cooked for 30 minutes then uncovered and cooked for an additional 15 minutes. It turned out perfectly browned and dinner that evening was a snap. Very enjoyable meal, thanks!
- 6 medium baking potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup herbed feta cheese or 3⁄4 cup plain feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) packageprewashed spinach
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and quarter potatoes.
- In a large saucepan cook potatoes, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mash drained potatoes with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed.
- Add yogurt, margarine or butter, salt, and red pepper; beat just until combined.
- Add eggs; beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute or until fluffy.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of the feta cheese.
- In a 12-inch skillet bring the 1/4 cup water to boiling; add spinach to skillet. Toss spinach for about 1 minute or until spinach is slightly wilted; drain. Press out excess liquid. Coarsely chop spinach.
- Spread half of the potato mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Layer spinach on top; sprinkle with remaining feta cheese. Spread remaining potato mixture on top and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until top is lightly browned.