Recipe by Mirj
I've been making this for years, but never seemed to put it up here on Zaar. I Googled myself today (painful) and this recipe came up, I had submitted it to a discussion list about 10 years ago.
Top Review by Miraklegirl
This was great. I added some diced onions and sliced mushrooms and also halved the recipe with no problem. Mine wasn't a souffle at all, but the egg helped hold it all together. Thanks Mirj!
- butter, for the pan
- 5 matzos
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce & mushrooms
- onion powder (optional)
- garlic powder (optional)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb American cheese or 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly butter a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Wet the matzos lightly with water.
- Fit 2 1/2 matzos on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the matzos with half of the tomato sauce and arrange the sliced cheese over the sauce.
- Cover the cheese with the remaining matzos and pour the remaining sauce over the whole thing.
- Sprinkle the top with onion and garlic powder.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and pour this over the matzos.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into serving portions.