Recipe by RuizShannon
Like a cross between a popover and a nutty doughnut, this hits the spot for a Passover morning treat or could be filled with a creamy custard for a cream puff dessert.
- 2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups matzo meal or 2 cups ground matzo crackers
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large sauce pan, heat water, butter or oil, salt and sugar to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and cinnamon.
- Stir in matzo meal and pecans until it forms a ball.
- Add eggs to the dough mixture, beating thoroughly after each one.
- Drop onto greased cookie sheets (makes 24 buns).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, bottoms and tops should be lightly browning. (Switch pans on racks at 15 minutes in oven if they appear uneven.).
- Remove from oven and dust immediately with powdered sugar.