Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This dessert is reminiscent of pecan pie. Cooking Light, April 2004. We didn't use coconut -- personal preference so increased the amount of chopped pecans. Didn't allow for chilling and cooling times.
- 1 cup matzo meal (cake meal)
- 1⁄2 cup matzo meal
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup grated toasted pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or 6 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 large egg white
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- PREPARE CRUST:.
- Lightly spoon matzo cake meal and matzo meal into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine matzo cake meal, matzo meal, and next 4 ingredients(cake meal throguh salt) stirring with a whisk; cut in 6 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 1 egg white, stirring until just moist; press into bottom of a 13x9" baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until edges begin to brown; cool 15 minutes.
- PREPARE FILLING:.
- Combine 1-1/3 cups brown sugar and next 7 ingredients(brown sugar through 1 large egg) in medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Pour over prepared crust.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Cut into bars.
I made this for my family. I used only whole wheat matzo meal (no cake meal) substitute applesauce for butter and also skipped the egg white in the crust. All enjoyed it! Thanks!