Recipe by Susiecat too
This recipe comes from a 1972 cookbook by a Jewish women's organization (ORT) that was published as a fundraiser for a vocational training program. It is like a church or synagogue congregational cookbook, only bigger, because recipes were submitted from an 8-state region. (I added my own suggestions in parentheses.)
- 1⁄2 cup matzo meal (try whole wheat matzo meal for a little more whole grains)
- 1⁄4 cup milk (may need slightly more if using whole wheat matzo meal) or 1⁄4 cup orange juice (may need slightly more if using whole wheat matzo meal)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons melted fat (or canola oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour milk or juice over matzo meal.
- Add salt to egg yolks and beat until very light.
- Add to meal mixture, let stand 5 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until very stiff. Fold lightly into yolk mixture.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto hot greased skillet, brown on both sides.