Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
French toast on Passover? Usually impossible, but not anymore!
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated lemons or 1 tablespoon orange rind
- 6 -8 slices passover sponge cakes (about 1 inch thick)
- unsalted butter or margarine
- cinnamon, to taste
- sugar, to taste
- In a large shallow bowl, combine the milk, eggs and lemon/orange peel and mix well.
- Soak the sponge cake slices in the milk mixture.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Fry the cake on both sides until brown.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, if desired.
you are a genius! i could not find passover sponge cake, so i substituted passover chocolate chip cake and used orange rind. very delicious and a wonderful change from matzo brei.
I wasn't able to find passover sponge cake. I improvised with sponge cake rounds used for strawberry shortcakes. Yummy! This made a quick and easy breakfast treat. Made for Alphabet Soup Game. Thanks for posting Mirj!
I made a sponge cake just so we could have this French toast. We all enjoyed it and I really liked the orange zest, which gives it such a wonderful flavor. DS was quite happy this morning when he got French toast for breakfast. I got 6 slices to the 2 eggs.