Recipe by AniSarit
When I was in high school, I found this recipe in the Los Angeles Times. Although I never tried this recipe, I gave it to some friends who said the effort was very well worth the time it takes to make this. Prep time does not include standing time.
- 1 cup sherry wine (can use less)
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 2 oranges, peeled and broken into sections
- 4 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced
For the ANGEL FOOD CAKE
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups matzo cake meal
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, finely grated
- 12 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
For the ORANGE PUDDING
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons potato starch
- 4 cups strained orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- For the ANGEL FOOD CAKE:.
- Combine 3/4 c sugar, matzo cake meal & orange zest in bowl.
- Beat egg whites and salt in large mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, alternating with orange juice. Beat well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in matzo meal mixture, 1/4 at a time.
- Use 15 under-and-over strokes for each addition, slightly turning the bowl after each stroke. Fold an additional 10 strokes.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees 50 minutes to an hour, or until cake springs back to touch.
- Remove from oven, immediately invert pan & cool.
- For the ORANGE PUDDING:.
- Combine sugar & potato starch in medium saucepan. Slowly pour in orange juice, stirring with whisk if necessary, to prevent lumps from forming. Add zest.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Cover & chill before using.
- Can be made a day ahead.
- PUT IT ALL TOGETHER:.
- Cut cake in 1-inch fingers.
- Let stand uncovered for a few hours to slightly dry out. (Trifle is usually made with stale cake.)
- Arrange cake fingers around bottom and sides of deep glass bowl or trifle dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 cup Sherry.
- Arrange about 1/2 the sliced fruit on and around cake fingers.
- Pour over 1/2 of pudding.
- Add another layer of cake fingers.
- Sprinkle with more sherry.
- Pour over remaining pudding.
- Cover and refrigerate until fully chilled and ready to serve.
- To serve, heap remaining fruit on top of trifle and serve at once.