1 hr 10 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
Here is another chocolate cake for Passover. It may be flourless, but boy is it ever delish!!! Source: Midwest Living Magazine, April 1991
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CAKE
- 10 -12 eggs, separated
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups very finely chopped almonds or 2 cups pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
FOR THE DARK CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 1TO MAKE THE CAKE:.
- 2Set a large mixer bowl in a sink filled with 2 inches of warm water. Separate eggs.
- 4it is best to separate eggs while they are still cold, straight from the fridge.
- 5(you should have about 1 1/2 cups whites). Pour the whites into the warm mixer bowl and place yolks in a smaller mixer bowl (or let separated eggs stand, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes).
- 6Meanwhile, in a small, heavy saucepan, partially melt unsweetened chocolate and semisweet chocolate pieces over low heat. Turn off heat and stir (chocolate will continue to melt).
- 7Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- 8Cut a waxed paper liner for the bottom of a 10-inch tube pan, cutting it 1/2-inch wider than the pan and the center hole slightly larger than the tube.
- 9Grease pan thoroughly.
- 10Place liner in pan and grease liner.
- 11Beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed for about 4 minutes or till they're thick and lemon colored.
- 12Add the 2/3 cup sugar, beating till very thick. Stir in the melted chocolate and chopped nuts.
- 13Thoroughly wash and dry beaters.
- 14Beat egg whites with vanilla and almond extract till foamy.
- 15Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar to egg whites, beating till soft peaks form.
- 16Lighten egg yolk mixture with about 2 cups beaten egg whites.
- 17Add to the remaining egg white mixture and fold together to combine.
- 18Turn batter into prepared pan.
- 19Bake for about 40 minutes or till top springs back when lightly touched.
- 20Run a knife around the edge of the pan and center to loosen.
- 21Cool in pan for 1 hour.
- 22INVERT onto cake plate. Remove waxed paper.
- 23Spread glaze over top and sides of cake.
- 24TO MAKE THE DARK CHOCOLATE GLAZE:.
- 25In a small heavy saucepan or skillet, melt chocolate over low heat.
- 26Remove from heat and stir in butter or margarine.
- 27In a small bowl, dissolve instant coffee in hot water.
- 28Stir in the sour cream and maple flavoring.
- 29Add sour cream mixture to chocolate, stirring till smooth and shiny.
- 30Makes 3/4 cup.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Passover Dark Chocolate Nut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.5
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 215.1 mg
- Sodium 171.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 38.0 g
- Protein 15.0 g