Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Here is another chocolate cake for Passover. It may be flourless, but boy is it ever delish!!! Source: Midwest Living Magazine, April 1991
FOR THE CAKE
- 10 -12 eggs, separated
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups very finely chopped almonds or 2 cups pecans
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
FOR THE DARK CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- TO MAKE THE CAKE:.
- Set a large mixer bowl in a sink filled with 2 inches of warm water. Separate eggs.
- it is best to separate eggs while they are still cold, straight from the fridge.
- (you should have about 1 1/2 cups whites). Pour the whites into the warm mixer bowl and place yolks in a smaller mixer bowl (or let separated eggs stand, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a small, heavy saucepan, partially melt unsweetened chocolate and semisweet chocolate pieces over low heat. Turn off heat and stir (chocolate will continue to melt).
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cut a waxed paper liner for the bottom of a 10-inch tube pan, cutting it 1/2-inch wider than the pan and the center hole slightly larger than the tube.
- Grease pan thoroughly.
- Place liner in pan and grease liner.
- Beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed for about 4 minutes or till they're thick and lemon colored.
- Add the 2/3 cup sugar, beating till very thick. Stir in the melted chocolate and chopped nuts.
- Thoroughly wash and dry beaters.
- Beat egg whites with vanilla and almond extract till foamy.
- Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar to egg whites, beating till soft peaks form.
- Lighten egg yolk mixture with about 2 cups beaten egg whites.
- Add to the remaining egg white mixture and fold together to combine.
- Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or till top springs back when lightly touched.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and center to loosen.
- Cool in pan for 1 hour.
- INVERT onto cake plate. Remove waxed paper.
- Spread glaze over top and sides of cake.
- TO MAKE THE DARK CHOCOLATE GLAZE:.
- In a small heavy saucepan or skillet, melt chocolate over low heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter or margarine.
- In a small bowl, dissolve instant coffee in hot water.
- Stir in the sour cream and maple flavoring.
- Add sour cream mixture to chocolate, stirring till smooth and shiny.
- Makes 3/4 cup.