Recipe by coconutty
I found this online somewhere. Note: To make superfine matzo meal, whiz matzo meal in a blender or food processor.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons light rum or 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup ground blanched almond
- 2 tablespoons superfine matzo meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9" round cake pan, and sprinkle it with matzo meal; shake out the excess. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, and beat until stiff and shiny. Then beat in the rum or apple juice.
- Combine coconut, almonds, superfine matzo meal, and lemon zest in a bowl and fold into the egg whites. Spread in the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees until the top is light brown, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pan.
- To serve, sprinkle fruit with about 1/4 cup sugar to create juices, to taste. Unmold the torte onto a platter and place fruit on top.