1 hr 5 mins
Passover recipes are always full of beaten egg whites. The first few Passovers I was married I didn't have an electric mixer kosher for Passover, and I would beat those egg whites by hand. It gave me a really good workout each year, considering how many egg whites you can beat over the 7/8 day holiday. After a few years I got smart and finally bought an electric mixer. I stopped getting my workout, and started baking more cakes. I always gain weight over the holiday, sigh...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan with foil.
- 3Grease the foil.
- 4Melt the margarine and chocolate over low heat or in the microwave.
- 5Stir until smooth and let cool.
- 6In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, about about 2 minutes.
- 7In a separate bowl, beat together the yolks and sugar until thick and pale, about 1 minute.
- 8Blend in the chocolate mixture and stir in the almonds.
- 9Fold in the beaten whites, 1/3 at a time, into the chocolate until no streaks of white remain.
- 10Scrape into prepared pan.
- 11Place an 8 inch baking pan with 1 inch of water in it on the bottom rack of the oven (to make the torte more moist).
- 12Bake the torte on center rack at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes, or until sides begin to pull away from pan and top is set in center.
- 13Cover the torte loosely with foil for the last 20 minutes of baking.
- 14Note: Don't worry if the cake cracks because the top will be on the bottom later.
- 15Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes and then carefully remove sides of pan.
- 16Invert onto a serving plate and cool completely.
- 17You can top with whipping cream or dust with confectioner's sugar if you want.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Passover Chocolate Torte
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.0
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 88.1 mg
- Sodium 122.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 6.8 g