1 hr 5 mins
Passover recipes are always full of beaten egg whites. The first few Passovers I was married I didn't have an electric mixer kosher for Passover, and I would beat those egg whites by hand. It gave me a really good workout each year, considering how many egg whites you can beat over the 7/8 day holiday. After a few years I got smart and finally bought an electric mixer. I stopped getting my workout, and started baking more cakes. I always gain weight over the holiday, sigh...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan with foil.
- 3Grease the foil.
- 4Melt the margarine and chocolate over low heat or in the microwave.
- 5Stir until smooth and let cool.
- 6In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, about about 2 minutes.
- 7In a separate bowl, beat together the yolks and sugar until thick and pale, about 1 minute.
- 8Blend in the chocolate mixture and stir in the almonds.
- 9Fold in the beaten whites, 1/3 at a time, into the chocolate until no streaks of white remain.
- 10Scrape into prepared pan.
- 11Place an 8 inch baking pan with 1 inch of water in it on the bottom rack of the oven (to make the torte more moist).
- 12Bake the torte on center rack at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes, or until sides begin to pull away from pan and top is set in center.
- 13Cover the torte loosely with foil for the last 20 minutes of baking.
- 14Note: Don't worry if the cake cracks because the top will be on the bottom later.
- 15Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes and then carefully remove sides of pan.
- 16Invert onto a serving plate and cool completely.
- 17You can top with whipping cream or dust with confectioner's sugar if you want.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Passover Chocolate Torte
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.0
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 88.1 mg
- Sodium 122.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 6.8 g