Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have seen this online, attributed to more than one author, under the name of "Viennese Chocolate Torte." I definitely did not create it, nor have I tried it, but someone should!
For the cake
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 cups ground walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup matzo cake meal
- 1⁄3 cup potato starch
- 2 oranges, peeled, sectioned and de-membraned
For the filling
- 10 ounces apricot preserves
- 1 orange, peeled, sectioned and de-membraned
For the glaze
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken
- Preheat oven to 250°F Have ready an ungreased 10 inch tube pan (4 1/2 inches deep).
- Beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until very thick.
- Add chocolate, orange juice and rind; beat to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of the ground walnuts, cake meal and potato starch. Fold into yolk mixture.
- In a separate bowl with clean, dry beaters, beat whites until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in chocolate mixture into beaten whites.
- Scrape into pan and bake 55 to 60 minutes, until cake tests done. Invert pan over a bottle neck and let cake cool completely (cake will be upside down).
- Prepare the filling:.
- Melt preserves; stir in orange sections.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the chocolate glaze:.
- Heat orange juice until warm. Remove from heat, add chocolate, stirring until melted and smooth. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of pan; remove cake from pan.
- Slice cake in half horizontally.
- Spread orange filling over bottom half of cake. Replace top layer of cake. Coat cake with glaze. Garnish with remaining 1 cup nuts and the orange sections.