Recipe by AniSarit
Modified from a Canadian newspaper - this is AMAZING stuff! The best description of texture I can give is that this is not totally dry, but it's still crunchy. You will be questioned if it's really Kosher for Passover, you will be questioned how this is possible to make without flour. It's possible AND it's delicious, just try it! Don't half this recipe, it makes a lot, but they will fly off your table! Try variations like cranberries and your favorite nut or dried cherries and almonds instead of the chocolate chips and walnuts.
Top Review by babysmurf
I just finished baking this for tonight's Seder and they are great! I gave a piece to a friend who isn't Jewish and she couldn't even tell the difference. Will definitely be making these again.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup dairy-free margarine (I use smart balance light to improve nutritionals)
- 6 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups matzo cake meal
- 3⁄4 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a large cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, cream together the 2 cups sugar and margarine until smooth.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Combine the cake meal, potato starch and salt; stir into the creamed mixture.
- Mix in walnuts and chocolate chips. The mixture will be heavy, don't worry.
- Form into 2-3 long oval loaves (not high!). Place onto the prepared baking sheet (they don't spread too much) lined with parchment paper to prevent sticking. You can use 3 disposable aluminum pans, approximately 5 x 12 by 1 inch high, also lined - and you get a very uniform product.
- Sprinkle the top with half the mixture of 4 teaspoons sugar and cinnamon.
- Check after 30-35 minutes. If lightly browned, remove from oven and let cool till warm (about 15-20 minutes). Change oven temperature to 250 degrees F.
- Slice into 1/2 inch slices.
- Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar and lay pieces on sides.
- Bake for about 5-10 minutes on each side.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Some people may find that they prefer this baked a little longer. Adjust cooking time to your personal taste.
- Cool completely.