Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
In the early 1990’s Gourmet Magazine did a series of Passover cakes which I now cannot find on epicurious.com. I had copied some of them and am posting them here.
- 3⁄4 cup matzo cake meal, plus additional for dusting the pan
- 6 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- Set oven rack at middle of oven; preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 inch springform pan and dust with matzo cake meal.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat egg yolks until thick and pale, add sugar gradually, beating. Beat until very thick.
- Add carrots, nuts, vanilla and ¾ cup matzo cake meal. Beat until combined well.
- In a separate bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until they just hold stiff peaks.
- Stir ½ cup of the beaten egg whites into the carrot mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites gently but thoroughly.
- Pour into pan. Bake about 40 to 45 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Run a knife around edge of pan; remove side of pan.