Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Posted for safekeeping; not tried. Prep time is a guess.
- 7 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups carrots, peeled and grated (about 5 large carrots)
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground hazelnuts or 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground almonds
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 10-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- Separate 5 of the eggs into yolks and whites. Set aside the whites. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the 5 egg yolks with the 2 remaining whole eggs. Add 1 cup of the sugar, the cinnamon, salt, vanilla and the lemon zest and juice. Mix in the carrots and hazelnuts or almonds.
- In a clean bowl and using a clean whisk attachment, use an electric mixer to beat the 5 egg whites to stiff peaks, adding the 2 tablespoons of sugar once the whites are foamy. Working in batches, gently fold the whites into the carrot batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until a wooden skewer or cake tester inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour before unmolding.