Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A Joan Nathan recipe that I am posting for safekeeping. She says, "These brownies, created by Capsuto Frere Restaurant in New York City for their Passover Seder, are moist and delicious all year round." Prep time is an estimate.
- 3⁄8 cup unsalted butter or 3⁄8 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 6 ounces finely ground almonds (see note) or 6 ounces almond flour (see note)
- 1 pinch salt
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Mix in the egg yolks.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler. Cool and add to the butter mixture. Add the finely ground almonds or almond flour.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff but not dry. Fold into the batter. Pour into a 9-inch square greased baking tin. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes. Cool and cut in squares.
- NOTE: Each 30 g of finely ground nuts equals about ¼ cup. One ounce = about 28 grams.