Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Got this from the RFCJ Recipe Archive website. Looks promising. Pls make it and let me know what you think!
- 12 medium potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs turkey
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided (or salt to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron (If ashkenazi and you can't get KFP saffron or turmeric, consider adding extra garlic or onion powder) or 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric (If ashkenazi and you can't get KFP saffron or turmeric, consider adding extra garlic or onion powder)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled, then peeled and sliced
- Boil potatoes with skins until almost fully cooked; set aside.
- Meanwhile, saute meat in pan and add 1 teaspoon salt and garlic.
- Peel potatoes and mash in bowl, adding saffron, salt, pepper and oil.
- In greased 9-inch-by-11-inch pan with sides, create layers approximately 1/4 inch thick: first, pat down a layer of mashed potato, cover with ground meat, add slices of eggs, create another layer of mashed potato.
- on top and repeat from the beginning, creating 2 to 3 layers of each. The top layer should be potato.
- Put pan into oven and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Then broil for 5 minutes to make the top potato layer crisp.