Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Barbara Dubroff's recipe
- 8 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
- 3⁄4 cup matzo cake meal
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease sides and center of a 10 inch tube pan.
- Separate eggs into large mixing bowls. slowly beat 1 cup sugar and salt into yolks until thick and light in color. Add mashed bananas. Beat for 3 minutes on high speed.
- Stir together cake meal, potato starch and cinnamon. Fold gradually into banana mixture. Add nuts.
- Beat whites till peaked (not dry). Continue beating and make meringue by beating 1/4 cup sugar into whites 1 teaspoon at a time. Fold meringue into banana mixture.
- Bake in pan for 70 to 75 minutes until its springy to touch. invert pan and let hang for 45 minutes. remove while warm with a thin blade.