Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This year I finally figured out the secret to converting a regular cake recipe to a Passover cake recipe! The secret is that when you replace the flour in the recipe with matzo meal, you sub 40% of it with something else, like shredded coconut or ground nuts. This way you avoid baking a brick (like the ones our ancestors made during the slavery in Egypt!). The bananas in this recipe also help to moisten the cake.
- preheat oven to 350.
- grease a 9x13 rectangular cake pan.
- combine matzo meal, coconut, ground nuts, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon & salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, yolks, bananas and vanilla.
- In a third bowl, whip egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold dry mixture into the egg whites.
- Gently fold banana mixture into the rest of the batter.
- Lastly add the walnuts and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.