Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a bit different than the other baklava recipes posted here. Make this a day in advance so the syrup has time to soak in.
- cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup matzo meal (cake meal)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F; spray a round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Add sugars, oil, eggs and egg whites to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat at medium until blended.
- Stir in matzoh cake meal and next 5 ingredients and beat until well blended.
- Pour into cake pan and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine syrup ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower to simmer and cook 25 minutes until thick.
- Cool completely.
- Pierce top of cake with a fork, pour syrup on top.
- Cover and chill overnight.
Just had this cake for Passover last night. Oh my gosh! So very good! I couldn't find hazelnuts so I just used candied walnuts. That may make it a little too sweet for some, but my guest just raved over this cake. I can see myself using the syrup recipe for this cake for other desserts as well. This is a keeper!
Excellent! This was my second time putting together an orthodox seder, and this was so successfull that my mother asked that I bring another one to her birthday! Thanks, chia!
Outstanding with all ages!!