2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried apricots
- 1 1/2 cups apricot nectar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup matzo meal
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
MIXED BERRY COMPOTE
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 3 tablespoons apricot puree
- 1 (1 1/2 pint) basket raspberries
- 3 (1/2 pint) baskets raspberries
- 1 (1/2 pint) basket blueberries
- 1 (1/2 pint) basket blackberry, halved if large
- 2 (8 ounce) containers frozen non-dairy topping, thawed
- 1APRICOT PUREE:.
- 2Bring all ingredients to simmer in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- 3Reduce heat to medium-low, cover tightly and simmer until apricots are tender, about 12 minutes.
- 4Transfer mixture to food processor; puree until smooth.
- 5Transfer to small bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- 6Do ahead tip*.
- 8Position a rack just below center of oven and preheat to 350°F (180°C).
- 9Whisk first 3 ingredients in small bowl to blend; set aside.
- 10Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl until very thick, about 6 minutes.
- 11Gradually beat in 2/3 cup apricot puree, then honey, oil and brandy.
- 12Beat in cake meal mixture.
- 13Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites and salt in another large bowl until soft peaks form.
- 14Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, beating until whites are stiff but not dry.
- 15Fold whites into yolk mixture in 4 additions.
- 16Transfer batter to a 10x4-inch (25.5cmx10cm) angel food cake pan or tube pan with removable center.
- 17Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- 18Immediately, invert center of cake pan onto narrow neck bottle.
- 19Cool cake completely.
- 20Do ahead tip.**.
- 21ASSEMBLY OF TRIFLES:.
- 22Cut around sides of pan and around center post to loosen cake; remove from pan.
- 23Cut cake, as needed, into even 1/2-3/4-inch slices (not wedges of uneven thickness).
- 24Using cookie cutter, cut out sixteen 2-1/2 to 3-inch rounds.
- 25In each of eight (12oz-16oz)goblets, place spoonful of compote.
- 26Top with 1 cake round, 1/4 cup compote and large spoonful of non-dairy topping.
- 27Repeat layering 1 more time.
- 28Refrigerate trifles up to 6 hours.
- 29When ready to serve, top each trifle with a dollop of non-dairy whipped topping.
- 30MIXED BERRY COMPOTE:.
- 31Make this 1 day ahead to allow flavors more time to develop(and of course to free up more of your time for other cooking.).
- 32Leftover compote, like the apricot puree, is nice with latkes for breakfast or even over cottage cheese or yogurt.
- 33Whisk jam and remaining apricot puree in large bowl to blend.
- 34Gently mix in all berries.
- 35Let compote stand at room temperature at least 2 hours, tossing occasionally.
- 36*Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep refrigerated.
- 37**Cake can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover pan tightly with foil and store cake upright at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Passover Apricot Cake and Berry Compote Trifles
Serving Size: 1 (453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 900.4
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 162.7 mg
- Sodium 316.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 143.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 110.0 g
- Protein 10.6 g