Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I'm not a fan of any of the desserts my family has always made for Passover, but this one I like. I've found that it doesn't make enough batter to really cover all of the apples on the top layer, but it still works for me. Maybe a more creative cook could find a way to adjust the ingredients for a bit more batter.
- 1 cup matzo cake meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites, divided
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups apples, peeled and thinly sliced (3-4 apples)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir the cake meal and salt together and set aside.
- Beat 3 egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- Beat the remaining 2 egg whites, oil, orange juice and 3/4 cup sugar together with a mixer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cake meal until thoroughly blended.
- Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Spoon half of the batter into a greased 8 or 9 inch square pan.
- Arrange the apples over the batter.
- Mix the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the apples.
- Spoon the rest of the batter over the apples.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.