Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Another Bert Greene cake for Passover.
- 6 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 8 ounces blanched almonds, ground
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon matzo meal
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 6 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9" springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Then butter the paper and flour the pan.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Sprinkle with salt and beat until stiff. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the ground almonds, sugar, and matzo meal. Gradually add this to the egg mixture. Add the brandy and 2 tablespoons of the amaretto.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees until firm to the touch, about 1-1/4 hours. Cool completely in the pan.
- Remove sides of pan and sprinkle with remaining 4 tablespoons amaretto.