Recipe by Mirj
It's not Passover without these babies in our house!
Top Review by khart46
I have been searching for this for 50 years to duplicate a childhood favorite. As soon as I saw the recipe, I knew it was what I was looking for - they were perfect, delicious and easy! When grinding the nuts in a food processor, just use part of the sugar in with the nuts, and pulse. It keeps them from becoming pasty.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar (250 milliliter)
- 2 cups ground almonds (500 milliliter)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolks well.
- Add sugar, and beat until mixture is lemon colored.
- Add the ground almonds and mix thoroughly.
- Chill for one hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Take small pieces of the mixture and shape into small balls.
- (I used a melon baller, for a 5/8-3/4" diameter cookie).
- Place the macaroons on a greased baking sheet, 1 inch apart.
- Top with half an almond.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Notes: These cookies spread.
- I have made up to a triple batch with good results.
- Be careful if using a food processor to powder the almonds.
- They seem to turn the nuts into almond butter, rather than a flour-like consistency.