Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chewy-crisp and intensely almond flavored.
- 10 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon extra-strong bitter almond oil
- confectioners' sugar or glazing sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- Blend the almond paste, sugar, and salt until the mixture becomes uniformly crumbly; this is best done in a stand mixer.
- Add the egg whites gradually, while mixing, to make a smooth paste.
- Stir in the flavorings.
- Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared pans.
- Sprinkle the cookies heavily with confectioners' sugar, then use three fingers to press an indentation into the center of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're brown around the edges. Remove them from the oven, and let them cool right on the pan.