Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These quick and easy cookies are chewy and yummy. Though kosher for Passover, they contain no matzo meal, so they're also suitable for someone who's allergic to wheat. It's my modification of a recipe from The Gourmet Jewish Cook by Judy Zeidler.
- 1 lb ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (1 standard bag)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Beat eggs and egg whites briefly.
- Mix in all the other ingredients, adding the chocolate chips last.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 min until cookie bottoms are brown, but not burnt.
- Let cool briefly, but remove while still warm.
The cookies came out really, really great. I did play around with the recipe by adding vanilla and balancing it out with more sugar and ground almonds. My cookies did not really "roll" out but I dropped them by spoon and they spread out and flattened completely. This recipe makes LOTS of cookies.
These cookies are AWESOME. These were such a hit, everyone was asking why I don't bake them during the year! They're my new fave. Recipe could be tweaked to suit your taste (add chopped almonds or cocoa powder for double chocolate cookies, etc.).
Love love love. I made 3 kinds of cookies for our seder this year, and these were by far the best AND the easiest! I flattened them with wet fingers and baked for 14 minutes to golden perfection (one tray at a time, re-heating the oven between batches). Thank you!