Recipe by Karin...
This is a very light and most refreshing dessert AND a lovely way to eat ice-cream! This is sure to impress your guest/guests!!!
- 6 large oranges
- 2 passion fruit (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 liter vanilla ice cream
- 1 -3 tablespoon orange liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a thick slice from the top of each orange and reserve them as'lids'.
- Scoop the orange flesh out and place with all the juice in a shallow saucepan.
- Put the orange shells to one side.
- Add the passionfruit pulp and honey.
- Simmer until reduced to about 1/3 of the original volume.
- Strain mixture into a measuring cup- it should measure 1/2 cup.
- Meanwhile, pierce the centre of each of the orange'lids' with a skewer- (each'lid' will later hold a couple of citrus leaves as garnish) Place the vanilla ice-cream into a large bowl.
- Add to this the 1/2 cup of reduced orange juice and liqueur.
- Beat QUICKLY, and spoon into the orange shells.
- Replace the'lids'.
- Enclose each one in plastic wrap.
- Freeze upright for atleast 8 hours and up to 2 weeks!
- Remove from the freezer 5-10 minutes before serving to allow for the ice-cream to soften slightly and the shells to'frost up'.
- Place a sprig of something citrus on top of each'lid' to garnish- example: a couple of leaves from either an orange or a lemon tree.
- ('poke'stemof leaves through skewered holes).
- NOTE: If oranges are VERY large, add an extra scoop of vanilla ice-cream to the mixture.
- And DO NOT substitute the fresh orange juice for commercial orange juice concentrate- I recommend using the fresh orange juice only.