Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup passion fruit puree or 2⁄3 cup passion fruit nectar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Position rack in lower 1/3 of oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Butter a 4-inch souffle dish, then dust with 1 tbl sugar.
- Whisk together the egg yolks with 3 tbl of sugar until mixture is pale yellow.
- Whisk egg whites until foamy in a nonreactive bowl, add 1 tbl sugar and continue whisking until the whites hold soft peaks.
- Add 2 tbl sugar and beat until whites are glossy and stiff.
- Whisk 2 tbl of passion fruit puree into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in 1/4 of the egg whites.
- Carefully fold in the remaining egg whites until just incorporated (do not overmix) Pour into chilled soufle dish and smooth top with a spatula, Run the tip of your thumb around the inner edge of the dish to make a rim.
- Bake until browned on top.
- about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together the remaining passionfruit puree and 1 tbl sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
- dissolve cornstarch in 1 tsp water, then whisk into sauce and cook until slightly thickened.
- When souffle is cooked, divide between 2 plates and spoon sauce around each serving.