1/1 Photo of Passage to India Creamed Spinach
I am certain this recipe has a more colorful name! Adjust the amount of spices according to taste, if desired. Great over basmati rice or whole wheat fettucini noodles. From All American Vegetarian Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs baby spinach leaves, rinsed and dried
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons broth
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/3 green jalapenos, finely minced (depends on how hot you want the dish) or 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (depends on how hot you want the dish)
- 1NOTE: Make sure the spinach is very fresh! No slimy leaves!
- 2Add the spinach to a large pot with a little bit of water (about 1 tablespoon) and cook, uncovered over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- 3Cook spinach *just* until it starts to darken and slightly wilt. Drain and set aside.
- 4Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the onion starts to brown.
- 5Stir in the fresh ginger, tomatoes, plain yogurt, water (or broth) and spices. Cook the mixture over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, being careful not to burn (reduce heat if necessary!) If the mixture starts to stick to the pan, add a little bit more water or broth to the bottom of the pan.
- 6Lower the heat on the pan. Chop the spinach and add to the spice mixture. Stir over low heat until the spinach is heated through and coated with the yogurt. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- 7Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Passage to India Creamed Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 64.9
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.3 mg
- Sodium 223.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 5.0 g