Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 mins
I am certain this recipe has a more colorful name! Adjust the amount of spices according to taste, if desired. Great over basmati rice or whole wheat fettucini noodles. From All American Vegetarian Cookbook.
- 2 lbs baby spinach leaves, rinsed and dried
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄3 green jalapenos, finely minced (depends on how hot you want the dish) or 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (depends on how hot you want the dish)
- NOTE: Make sure the spinach is very fresh! No slimy leaves!
- Add the spinach to a large pot with a little bit of water (about 1 tablespoon) and cook, uncovered over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Cook spinach *just* until it starts to darken and slightly wilt. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the onion starts to brown.
- Stir in the fresh ginger, tomatoes, plain yogurt, water (or broth) and spices. Cook the mixture over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, being careful not to burn (reduce heat if necessary!) If the mixture starts to stick to the pan, add a little bit more water or broth to the bottom of the pan.
- Lower the heat on the pan. Chop the spinach and add to the spice mixture. Stir over low heat until the spinach is heated through and coated with the yogurt. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hot.
I think it's a colourful name, I loved the movie :) and I loved the recipe, and so did DH and my daughters boyfriend (daughter not present :) ) I used baby spinach leaves, and ... so easy, nothing to it!!! I didnt make it too hot, just a bit of bite, personally I would have enjoyed more heat, but that wouldnt work so well for the lads, so. Lovely way to do spinach, thank you! Made for ZWT 8
Insanely delicious! I found some really nice baby spinach at costco at a good price so I *had* to buy it. Then I went looking for a recipe, lol. I did cheat....i sauteed the onions & spices then added the spinach to that & turned it until it was all wilted then added the yogurt. The amount of seasonings is perfect. It worked & was so tasty. Very quick dish - have everything prepped & ready to go! Thank you, CG! Made for Greens Tag in the Diabetic Forum.