Recipe by Baby Kato
Just a slightly different twist to sweet potato pie. Created for RSC 8. Hope you enjoy this dish.
Top Review by gailanng
I had used my mom's sweet potato recipe for years claiming it to be the best. I've, now, concluded this recipe near perfection. Oops, did I just reveal my disloyalty to the entire world wide web? Made for A-NZ #47.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 cup coconut, sweet
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 4 tablespoons milk, cold
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar, vanilla scented
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet potatoes, puree
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark rum (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 450 degrees.
- Pie Crust:.
- In a medium bowl stir flour, salt and coconut together.
- Use a pastry blender to cut butter into pea size pieces.
- Slowly add milk and form dough into a ball.
- Gently roll dough on lightly floured surface into a 12" circle, now transfer to a deep pie plate, trim and edge, put aside.
- Do not prick pastry.
- If you prefer, you could use an unbaked pre-made 9-inch deep dish pie shell.
- Pie Filling:.
- Beat eggs with brown & vanilla sugars, salt and spices mixing well.
- Next gently add sweet potato puree, whipping cream, sour cream and rum.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, turn the heat down to 400 degrees and continue baking for 30 minutes longer or until knife comes out clean.
- If necessary cover crust edges with tinfoil to prevent burning.