7 hrs 20 mins
Chandra M's Note:
Moderately spicy with a pleasant dried chili flavor. Instructions are for the slow cooker, but alternately you may simmer the ribs on the stove top for about 2.5 hours, or until the meat is falling off the bone. From Secrets of Slow Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs pork spareribs, trimmed of excess fat
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 dried guajillo chilies, stems & seeds removed
- 6 dried ancho chiles, stems & seeds removed (may also use mulato chiles)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, drained & rinsed
- salt, to taste
- lime juice, to taste
- 1Put the pork in the slow cooker with the oregano, 6 garlic cloves, and broth. You may cut the ribs into shorter portions to get them to fit.
- 2Cook on low, covered, for about 6 hours or until the meat is falling off the bones.
- 3Meanwhile, place the dried chiles in a bowl with 3 cups boiling water. Let sit at least 30 minutes to soften.
- 4Place the chilis, soaking liquid, 2 remaining cloves garlic, and onion in a blender & puree until smooth. Set aside.
- 5When the ribs are cooked, remove them from the cooker and discard the bones, cartilage, and excess fat. I like to slightly shred some of the meat and leave some larger pieces, so do what you prefer.
- 6Return the meat to the cooker. Pour in the chile sauce and stir in the hominy. Continue to cook for about 30 more minutes, or until the hominy is heated through.
- 7Season to taste with the lime juice & salt.
- 8Serve in bowls, with garnishes on the side.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pasole Rojo (Pazole) for Slow Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (671 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1090.4
- Calories from Fat 651
- Total Fat 72.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.2 g
- Cholesterol 221.1 mg
- Sodium 750.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 59.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried guajillo chilies