1/1 Photo of Paska (Easter Bread)
5 hrs 30 mins
* Pamela *'s Note:
This is an adopted recipe. Original intro: "This Russian-Mennonite sweet bread is traditionally served at Easter. This is my mother's recipe, which I prefer to all others. We always ate it for breakfast, along with coloured hardboiled Easter eggs." Thanks Zenith/Cornelia
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and chop potato.
- 2Boil until tender.
- 3Drain, reserving water.
- 4Mash the potato.
- 5Soften yeast in 3/4 cup lukewarm potato water (water from cooking the potato) for 10 minutes.
- 6Add a bit of flour to make a soft sponge.
- 7In the meantime, warm the milk.
- 8Pour it over 2 cups flour.
- 9Beat until smooth.
- 10Allow to cool slightly.
- 11Beat egg yolks with 1 cup sugar.
- 12Add warm flour mixture.
- 13Add stiffly beaten egg whites.
- 14Add yeast mixture.
- 15Cover and let rise until light.
- 16Add softened margarine, salt, remaining sugar and mashed potato (should have at least half cup mashed potato).
- 17Add enough flour to make a medium soft dough.
- 18(It will be a bit sticky-- if too stickly add flour but be careful not to add too much flour.) Knead 10 minutes.
- 19Cover and let rise to double its bulk.
- 20Shape into loaves.
- 21(You may make braided loaves, round loaves, or oval loaves.) Cover and let rise again.
- 22Bake at 325 F until golden.
- 23Be careful not to overbake.
- 24Make icing (or glaze) with powdered sugar and milk.
- 25Ice when bread is completed cooled.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Paska (Easter Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (2001 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.2
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 175.8 mg
- Sodium 519.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 38.2 g
- Protein 12.4 g