Recipe by * Pamela *
This is an adopted recipe. Original intro: "This Russian-Mennonite sweet bread is traditionally served at Easter. This is my mother's recipe, which I prefer to all others. We always ate it for breakfast, along with coloured hardboiled Easter eggs." Thanks Zenith/Cornelia
Top Review by PurpleJAF
I made this today for Easter dinner tomorrow. It was my first time making bread of any kind. It turned out great! I made three nice-sized round loaves and two dozen "muffins/rolls." I only gave it 4 out of 5 stars because it was my first time and the dough was very sticky. I probably could have added more flour, but I ran out. I also topped it with a powdered sugar icing. Overall great recipe. I'll use it again.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 large potato
- 2 cups flour (or more)
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm milk
- 7 -8 egg yolks
- 7 -8 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon orange zest
- bit vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and chop potato.
- Boil until tender.
- Drain, reserving water.
- Mash the potato.
- Soften yeast in 3/4 cup lukewarm potato water (water from cooking the potato) for 10 minutes.
- Add a bit of flour to make a soft sponge.
- In the meantime, warm the milk.
- Pour it over 2 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Beat egg yolks with 1 cup sugar.
- Add warm flour mixture.
- Add stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Cover and let rise until light.
- Add softened margarine, salt, remaining sugar and mashed potato (should have at least half cup mashed potato).
- Add enough flour to make a medium soft dough.
- (It will be a bit sticky-- if too stickly add flour but be careful not to add too much flour.) Knead 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise to double its bulk.
- Shape into loaves.
- (You may make braided loaves, round loaves, or oval loaves.) Cover and let rise again.
- Bake at 325 F until golden.
- Be careful not to overbake.
- Make icing (or glaze) with powdered sugar and milk.
- Ice when bread is completed cooled.