Recipe by kiwidutch
My Dad's been preparing Rabbit recipes ever since he bred "show" rabbits as a kid in Holland... the ones who didn't make the grade went into the pot (9 kids in the family - nothing wasted!)This one I grew up with in New Zealand. I make it here in Holland now but farmed bunnies seem to need more herbs to give them flavour.
- 1 rabbit
- 250 -375 g butter
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup hot water
- bouquet garni (optional)
- 1 onion (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in saucepan and saute onion.
- Heat butter mixture until golden brown.
- Fry rabbit in butter until evenly browned and sealed.
- Add the water and simmer for 1-5 hours with the water only *just* moving because the meat will toughen if it boils.
- My dad usually makes this without the bouquet garni in the pot-- he gets wild rabbits on the farm in New Zealand and they seem to be strong enough in flavour to not need it.
- I buy my bunnies in the Dutch supermarket and think that the additional herbs*are* needed as these are farmed rabbits and don't have the same taste.