Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
So good you could serve this as a birthday cake, instead of pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving , or for company anytime. Or just make it for your own family to enjoy, It's so good you had better hide a few pieces for yourself before it's all gone. The best part of this cake is that you can use whole wheat flour and you will not be able to tell the difference from all purpose flour! Truly truly amazing.
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (may use all purpose flour if preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 cups baked butternut squash (seeds,stringy parts and peel removed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened (can use Tofutti brand for veg. version)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (powdered)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix cake ingredients together in one bowl with hand mixer, adding nuts and raisins at the end.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes although this will depend on your oven. It is best to insert a toothpick or knife into the center, as soon as it comes out dry, remove your cake from the oven. Do not overbake.
- Mix icing ingredients together and spread onto cooled cake. Enjoy!