Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
At a party I attended at holiday time, this was a huge hit. People were even typing the recipe into their cell phones. At my annual party in December it was a hit again - cleaned out completely! I took it to a friend's party and it was the first thing to go, and it's so easy. Use Walla Walla or Vidalia onions for the best flavor. Serve this with mild flavored crackers such as wheat thins.
- 2 cups shredded jarlsberg cheese
- 1 -2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 minced garlic cloves (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Mix mayonnaise and garlic together.
- Add shredded cheese and chopped onion - I like a lot of onion, but use your own judgment.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Put in an ovenproof casserole big enough to hold the mixture with some "bubble" room.
- Bake in a 400F oven for about 30-40 minutes until it is browned and bubbly and the onion is cooked through.
- Serve hot with crackers.
Everyone at my dinner party enjoyed this dip. It goes together very quickly and easily. It is rich, but oh so good. I made this as written except that I used regular mayonnaise because I didn't have any light on hand. Thank you for sharing.
**Made for Fall 2011 PAC**
Wow, was rather reluctant, to try this recipe, but after trying it, i am beating myself up for ever being a worrywart. The flavor is amazing, and taste like you have Champagne and other really expensive ingredients, in it. Move over Dip recipes Because this ones here to stay. we will make this over and over again I am sure, I think i would consider trying this recipe as a fondue recipe as well. Thank you so much for posting this, Our family is indebted to you :)