Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a make ahead dessert recipe. Quick and easy. You can use any fruit juice and fruit. I used apple juice and mandarin oranges for this post. Photos show you the steps. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
- In medium saucepan add sugar and 1/2 cup.
- water, add the dry gelatin. Heat on low heat. Stir until gelatin and sugar are dissolved. I use a wire whisk.
- Add the apple juice and mix.
- Place in the refrigerator until the gelatin starts to soft set. It must be spoonable.
- This will set quickly so check frequently.
- Find a deep flat bottomed serving bowl that is round, about an inch and a half larger in diameter than the angel food cake.
- Spray the bowl with Pam.
- Place the angel food cake in the bowl, bottom side up.
- Spoon soft set gelatin around the sides of the bowl,pushing the gelatin down with the edge of the spoon. Do this until all sides of the bowl are filled to the top with the gelatin. Fill the center hole of the cake.
- Place the gelatin filled cake bowl in the refrigerator. Chill at least 2 hours or you can leave overnight.
- To unmold: Dip the bowl in some hot water for a few seconds. I mean only 2 to 3 seconds. You do not want to melt the gelatin.
- Find a platter that has raised edges. Put platter over the bowl. Turn quickly upside down to unmold. Cake with the gelatin wrap should plop right out.
- Garnish with drained mandarin oranges, or.
- fruit of your choice.
- Cooling time is listed as cooking time.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- I have used cran-raspberry juice with raspberries; cran-grape juice with sliced grapes; strawberry Jello with sliced strawberries; orange pineapple juice with crushed pineapple; lime or lemon Jello with kiwi fruit; lemonade works well with Knox also; peach Jello with sliced peaches.
- I used to use a 7 1/2-quart Tupperware bowl with lid and turn it upside down a few times but this works also and you don't have to purchase the packaged flavored gelatin which is more expensive than using fruit juices and Knox.
- Use 2 cups of water if you use the large Jello packages which call for 4 cups of water.
- For 4th of July celebration, Independence Day you can use blueberry for the Bottom and strawberry or raspberry for the top, so you have two colors on the side of the cake and white cake inside and two colors of gelatin in the middle. The possibilities are endless and I have fun thinking of combinations.
- Cooling time is cooking time (passive).