Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of my husband's favourite dishes ... but it's rich so he only gets it when we have guests!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs veal cutlets
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- garlic powder
- Buy the thinnest veal cutlets you can, or pound the ones you have until they're thin.
- Cut into serving size pieces and dredge in the flour.
- Saute quickly in the butter.
- Remove from pan and keep warm in a low oven.
- Saute onions and mushrooms over high heat in the same pan.
- Add wine and cream and reduce to medium; stir until thick.
- Stir in lemon juice and spices.
- Place veal on an attractive serving platter and pour sauce over.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley if you have the time or inclination.
- Serve immediately with rice or noodles.
- Sit back and wait for the raves.
A truly tasty meal. The sauce had plenty of mushrooms and flavour. I served this with thinly sliced potatoes which I steamed and then baked briefly in a hot oven to brown and broccoli.
Oh, this was wonderful! I have eaten similar dishes in fancy restaurants, and I have to say I think this was better!! The meat was extremely tender and juicy and my husband kept commenting on it as he inhaled it. This will be used again and soon.
Edited five years later to add that I still cook this recipe at least every couple of months, but use swiss mushrooms instead of button and add a little more white wine and lemon than is quoted.
This is a keeper.
This recipe sounded divine but I found it was a little bland. I added some tarragon but it still lacked something. It tasted better the next morning as leftovers.