Recipe by D. Rose
My Mom's best friend used to bring this dish over when she visited on weekends. I finally got the recipe from her and have made them for many parties, BBQ's etc. They are usually a real hit! Although some may like serving them with egg noodles, I always served them without them and more as an appetizer. Either way, try to double the recipe for the sauce. I like mine in tons of extra sauce ESPECIALLY if you have them on a sterno! the sauce dries out fast, so double the sauce! but instead of 4 pks of brown gravy, only use 3 when doubling it. Double everything else
- 1⁄2 cup Coffee-mate (liquid not powder and non-flavored!)
- 1⁄4 cup hot water (to be mixed with the coffemate only)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (plain)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (I use fresh)
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packets brown gravy mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place meat in large mixing bowl.
- In another small bowl, add the coffeemate and the water and mix together stir quickly & pour this over the meat.
- Add the breadcrumbs, salt, eggs, onion & basil and start kneading together by hand until all ingredients are very well blended. *Note, I place my onions and basil in a mini food processor and it is so much better for the meatballs because you dont get those chunks of diced onion or basil.
- Roll meatballs into mini golf ball shaped sizes and place on ungreased cookie sheets about 2" apart.
- Bake in oven (center rack) at 350 deg. for about 5-7 minute About halfway through cooking time, I use tongs and turn the meatballs over so that the raw sides get cooked. I bake mine a little longer until dark brown color & centers are fully cooked.
- Remove meatballs and place in a deep baking/casserole dish & set aside.
- For the sauce.
- Mix water and gravy mix in a sauce pan over low heat until mix dissolves. Bring to boil then add the salt, pepper & container of sour cream. You must stir constantly until all sour cream dissolves and the sauce becomes a caramel color with no white left.
- Pour sauce over the meatballs and put either on sterno rack to start cooking/thickening sauce or bake in oven on low temp setting of about 250 or so. The sauce will thicken but keep temp on low setting until you serve or they can dry out fast.