1 hr 30 mins
D. Rose's Note:
My Mom's best friend used to bring this dish over when she visited on weekends. I finally got the recipe from her and have made them for many parties, BBQ's etc. They are usually a real hit! Although some may like serving them with egg noodles, I always served them without them and more as an appetizer. Either way, try to double the recipe for the sauce. I like mine in tons of extra sauce ESPECIALLY if you have them on a sterno! the sauce dries out fast, so double the sauce! but instead of 4 pks of brown gravy, only use 3 when doubling it. Double everything else
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup Coffee-mate (liquid not powder and non-flavored!)
- 1/4 cup hot water (to be mixed with the coffemate only)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (plain)
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil (I use fresh)
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packets brown gravy mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1Place meat in large mixing bowl.
- 2In another small bowl, add the coffeemate and the water and mix together stir quickly & pour this over the meat.
- 3Add the breadcrumbs, salt, eggs, onion & basil and start kneading together by hand until all ingredients are very well blended. *Note, I place my onions and basil in a mini food processor and it is so much better for the meatballs because you dont get those chunks of diced onion or basil.
- 4Roll meatballs into mini golf ball shaped sizes and place on ungreased cookie sheets about 2" apart.
- 5Bake in oven (center rack) at 350 deg. for about 5-7 minute About halfway through cooking time, I use tongs and turn the meatballs over so that the raw sides get cooked. I bake mine a little longer until dark brown color & centers are fully cooked.
- 6Remove meatballs and place in a deep baking/casserole dish & set aside.
- 7For the sauce.
- 8Mix water and gravy mix in a sauce pan over low heat until mix dissolves. Bring to boil then add the salt, pepper & container of sour cream. You must stir constantly until all sour cream dissolves and the sauce becomes a caramel color with no white left.
- 9Pour sauce over the meatballs and put either on sterno rack to start cooking/thickening sauce or bake in oven on low temp setting of about 250 or so. The sauce will thicken but keep temp on low setting until you serve or they can dry out fast.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Party Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.6
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 156.5 mg
- Sodium 1039.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 26.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: